Temporary Business Long Stay 457 Visa to Australia

The 457 visa is one of the most commonly used visas by employers. It is used to sponsor overseas skilled workers to work in Australia on a temporary basis for up to 4 years.

Temporary Work (Skilled) Visa or a 457 visa.

The 457 visa (know by its full title:  Temporary work (skilled) – Standard Business Sponsorship (Subclass 457) is one of the most popularly used visas for Australian or overseas employers to sponsor skilled overseas workers to live and work in Australia for up to 4 years.

To apply for a 457 Temporary work (Skilled) visa, you need to meet the following requirements:

  • As an applicant and a visa holder, you can work in a skilled occupation that has been approved by the Australian Government.
  • As an applicant and a visa holder, you need to show that you have the skills and experience necessary to work in the nominated occupation.
  • You may need to have your skills assessed by an assessing body such as Vet assess or TRA. The assessing body depends on the ANZSCO category your skills are categorised in.
  • As an applicant and a visa holder, you are responsible for all your health costs while you are in Australia. This means that you will not be covered by Medicare unless your country has a reciprocal health care agreement with Australia.
  • You may need a health assessment.

If you hold a 457 visa, you are able to be employed for a period of between one day and four years.

  • This visa allows a 457 visa holders can travel in and out of Australia as many times as they like.
  • This visa allows 457 visa holders in Australia to  bring with them any eligible family members. These family members will have the same work and study rights in Australia.

An employer must be accepted by the Australian Government as an eligible employer. This is called a standard business sponsorship.

As an employee,

  • You must acquire a new visa and sponsorship if you want to move to another Employer Sponsor.
  • If you loose your job, you have 90 days to find a new sponsor.
  • You must meet minimum levels of education and training,
  • You must meet minimum levels of English language skills. 
  • In addition to character and health requirements.

Whilst the employer can nominate a person for the certain position they are trying to fill, it is the Department of Immigration and Citizenship that evaluate and decide on whether the criteria for visa has been met. If you are over 45 years of age, wish to enter Australian on a temporary basis for up to 4 years and have an employer who is willing to sponsor you, this might be the visa for you!

To find out if your circumstances meet the eligibility requirements for this visa, please contact us to submit your details and we will contact you with an initial assessment.

The initial assessment gives you general advice by Email. If you are assessed as being eligible for a visa, you will be invited to attend a consultation where we will assess your situation in depth.